In 1920, Alexander Glen Swire's father, John Swire, erected Harlow War Memorial Institute in memory of his son. His mother, Emily, was very active in the Harlow Womens Intitute which still stands next to Harlow War Memorial. Both were very active at St Mary's church, with the Boy Scouts and with the Essex Hunt of which John Swire was Master of the Hunt.

Harlow HWMI