Walter Michael Goodrich (nicknamed 'The Bishop') was one of the original five boys that formed the Hounds Patrol and started Scouting in Grimsby in 1908. The Hounds later went on to join 3rd Grimsby (Mayor's Own) Walter lived with his parents (and nine brothers and sisters!) at 1 Princes Avenue, Grimsby and attended St.James' School. In the First World War he joined the 8th Battalion (attached to the 6th Battalion) of the Manchester Regiment, as a Second Lieutenant, and he was killed in action in the German Spring offensive on the Somme on the 25th March 1918. He is buried at Assevilliers New British Cemetery in France and commemorated on the rood screen in the War Memorial Chapel in Grimsby Minster. St Michael’s Church in Little Coates, uses, most weeks, a communion paten (a small silver plate) which commemorates Walter Goodrich ‘who served at the altar of this church 1912-1918' and died in action aged 20

Rachel Rushmer